Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hottest 100 2008

As the largest music poll in the world Triple J's Hottest 100 is a listener-voted roll call of the previous year's stand out players, and this year garnered over 800,000 votes.
Now deeply entrenched in Australia Day celebrations on January 26, parties and BBQs happen all around the country and even overseas, tuned into the nation-wide radio station.
The countdown begins early and so too do the beers as flags are hoisted, singlets welcome a typical summer day and thongs are donned, not too mention bad Australia Day rub-on tattoos and far too many real Southern Cross tats.
Here in Amsterdam I didn't strip down so far.
I shall save you a list of 100 names, but here's the top ten. Can't say I completely agree but it's not bad and as I wasn't one of the 800,000 I shan't complain.
"Sex on Fire" is most definitely a massive tune. That said, The Ting Tings are a piece of shit. Good to see a few Aussie bands got in there, the likes of The Presets, Empire of the Sun, Drapht and Pez. That said, nice also to see that the Australian public have returned to voting for tunes they actually love, rather than the trend of voting for Australian songs just because it's Australia Day.

10. Jimmy Recard - Drapht
9. That's Not My Name - The Tings Tings
8. This Boy's In Love - The Presets
7. The Festival Song - Pez
6. Talk Like That - The Presets
5. Kids - MGMT
4. Walking on a Dream - Empire of the Sun
3. Use Somebody - Kings of Leon
2. Electric Feel - MGMT
1. Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon


1 comment:

  1. I must say, I was surprised to hear that 'sex is on fire' was number one!

    I guess over here in the swamp we aren't up to speed with what's popular at the moment.

    ReplyDelete